23 June 2010

Cekodok (Cucur) Ikan Bilis / Savoury Fritters


While the English love their scones with jam and butter, we Malaysian definitely love this yummy fritters for tea time. Almost everyone knows how to make this yummy tea time snacks, it’s that easy! I made this during my schooling days and even sold some to my friends at school for some extra pocket money. And I remember I had to wake up at 4 am each time I made this because of the frying process plus I had to make minimum 30 pieces. But it’s all worth it! Who wouldn't like deep fried yummy-ness filled with wonderful fillings. I can even have it as my main meal! I wonder if any of them still remember this hmmmm. Anyway back to the recipe, like I said it’s pretty easy almost fool proof if you ask me. You can jazz it up with any type of fillings ; sweet (bananas) or savoury (ikan bilis/dried anchovies).

You Need 
Basic Batter 
250grams of flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 eggs
3 tablespoons of oil and some for frying,
1/2 cup of warm water  

Fillings
 2 onions halved and sliced thinly
half a cup of green peas
1 cup of dried anchovies, cleaned and soaked in water for 10 mins
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds,
1 teaspoon of curry or chilli powder  

How To  
1. Mix all the ingredients for the basic batter until you have a thick batter but if it’s too gooey, just add in some water.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Spoon into hot oil and fry till brown.
4.Drain on paper kitchen towel and serve with chilli sauce.  Best eaten while it’s still hot and with a cup of kopi o or teh tarik :)

Cooking Tutorials
  
Note : You can add bean sprouts, julienned carrots, diced potatoes, shrimps, chopped spring onions, sliced red chillies, or chives.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this alesia. reminded me so much of the wonderful times my mom whipped up this delicious teatime snack when we were still schooling which was such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Yvonne and thank you for sharing this on your blog dear :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)