14 October 2010

M&Ms and Pasta

If you're wondering why things are a little quiet here and also on my Twitter, it's because my notebook is once again sent in for repair. First it was the cracks on the casing and next my windows decided to die on me (well actually more like I killed it trying to reformat the notebook on my own bleh). So anyway I'm notebook-less *again!* but it's nice to have nothing to distract me or take up most of my waking time (aside from Ashley). I spent the past few days cleaning up my room, clearing all the backlogged tasks; writing down those recipes I've collected from newspapers and magazine over the year, amongst other things. But the one thing I missed most is reading all the Project Food Blog entries.
So anyway the hubs went to work today and I finally can use the PC without having to fight with him over it plus a few friends asked for the recipe of Ashley's lunch today after I shared the picture on my Facebook Page I decided to post it up before people start forgetting the existence of my blog I forget. Today I made something really special for the lil picky eater , meatballs with mash hence M&Ms and hubs told me at the last minute that he wants to have his lunch at home before heading out for work so luckily I had some leftover pasta with newly bought tomatoes and I found a can of tomato puree in the pantry. So I whipped something up real quick for him.
Meatballs and Mash
Meatballs and Pasta with Tomato Sauce
M&Ms (Meatballs and Mash)
 
Meatballs
(Serves 2-3)
You Need
2 pieces of chicken breasts, fats trimmed,boneless and minced ( you can use your choice of ground meat aside from chicken)
1 small onion, minced
5-6 shiitake mushrooms, soaked, drained and minced
half a carrot, minced
1 teaspoon, dried mixed herbs(or you can use 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano or basil)
1 egg lightly beaten
4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to season
olive oil
2 cups of breadcrumbs

How To
1. Heat oven to 190 degree Celsius, drizzle the baking pan with some olive oil.
2. Combine ground meat, egg, herbs, carrots, mushrooms, onions, Worcestershire sauce,olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
3. Shape into small meatballs, about 3/4 ounce each. Roll the meatballs in the find dry bread crumbs to lightly coat, then arrange the meatballs on the baking pan and drizzle olive oil over the meatballs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. If you make larger meatballs, allow more time.
4. Serve.

Potato and Broccoli Mash
You Need
6-7 broccoli florets
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of dried herbs
salt & pepper to season.

How To
1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, add in the potatoes.
2. Once the potatoes have cooked for about 10 minutes, or soft when pierced with a fork,  add the broccoli to the pot. Simmer for another 7-10 minutes or so, or until the broccoli is tender but not crumbly.
3. Drain the potatoes and broccoli using a colander and return to the saucepan/pot. Add in the butter, milk, seasonings.
4. If you have a potato masher use it to mash and mix everything ortherwise a fork would do just fine.
5. I used these to shape the mash into shape of flowers and the food pick for the meatballs. Simply place the molds/cutters on the plate and spoon just enough amount of mash into the molds. Press lightly and remove the molds.


For the pasta, it's a pretty simple recipe

(Serves 1)
You Need
2 cups of cooked pasta (I used Penne)
1 can of tomato puree
4 small or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, minced
1 cup of water
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
meatballs *refer to the recipe above*

How To
1. In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add in the onions and saute until the onions turns translucent.
3. Next add in the tomatoes, tomato puree and water. Bring to a simmer before adding in the meatballs and cook for 30-45 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper and dish up over a plate of pasta.

More pictures would be up after I get my notebook back. I am so not used to blogging using Julian's PC, everything is not right even my editing software. Oh how I miss my notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)