06 October 2009

Lemon Baked Fish with Mediterranean Couscous




 
Having a toddler around usually means I don’t have the luxury to prepare a nice meal on time for lunch or I have to munch on a piece of toast to curb my hunger while waiting for her to take her afternoon naps and then prepare the meal.

So today, I planned to do some work while she’s napping away and I don’t want to eat another packet of instant mee / maggi mee. So I made this fuss free and quick meal for lunch. The best part about this dish, is that I can leave the fish baking in the oven while doing my chores and by the time I’m done with the chores, it’s time for reward myself with a steaming hot lemon infused fish and couscous with a light Mediterranean touch. :)

And did I mention that Ashley loves it :D
 
You need
For the Lemon Baked Fish
250gm of dory fish fillet or you can use any type of white fish, cut into three portions
2 lemons sliced
4 tsps of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Aluminium foil for wrapping
For the Mediterranean Couscous
1 cup of instant couscous (I used organic instant couscous)
21/2 cups of vegetable broth (Or you can use water and add in some chicken granules)
1 medium onion diced
1 medium carrot diced
3 tbsps of ghee or butter
1 tsp of cumin powder


How to:
To make the fish

1. Thaw fish if frozen and drain off any liquid.
2. Place the fillets on the aluminum foil.
3. Squeeze the lemon juice on the fish, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Place the fish fillets on the aluminum foil and arrange the lemon slices on the fillets.
5. Wrap the fillet with the aluminum foil and bake in 280 degree oven for 30 minutes.
6. It is done when you poke it with a fork and it flakes like fish is supposed to. If it is tough or rubbery then it isn't done yet. Put it back into the oven and cook it some more

To make the couscous
1. Heat butter, add in the diced onion, stir for 1 minute and add in the carrot along with the cumin powder.
2. Stir for 3 minutes or until the carrot turns slightly cooked.
3. Add couscous and stir to coat, add stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and cook (no peeking!) until liquid is absorbed.
4. Fluff to separate.
5. Serve with the Lemon Baked Fish


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Alesia! :)

    that looks delicious! love your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olive!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and also the compliments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I love the simplicity of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Candy :) I love simple yet delicious meals like this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. you like couscous? I bought my mum a whole box :) we eat it quite a bit at home

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)