08 October 2009

Pasta in Vegetable Broth


I initially wanted to post it much later on but since a friend asked if I have any recipes for a fussy toddler (which I do have since Ashley’s one)so I'll post it today instead.
 
Honestly, I think children are the hardest to please food critics ever. Not only you need to prepare a healthy meal for them, you must ensure it’s appealing to them, and sometimes you thought you finally have something they love, the next day it would end up in the thrash bin instead in their tummy. Sigh
And even though I have friends saying that Ashley’s one lucky girl cos her mommy cooks well (thanks girls for the compliments), she doesn’t seem to appreciate the variety of food I tried to introduce in her menu. Everyday I have to crack my head thinking what to cook for her. And getting her to eat is sometimes even harder than giving birth. Oh yes she’s that fussy and difficult. But of course, this lil princess of mine does give her mommy a break once in a while and reward her mommy’s hard work by finishing her meal without any kitchen drama. She must have really liked this seeing that she had 3 helpings and about to take 4 if I didn’t stop her from overeating.Maybe it’s the cute pasta shapes. Hmm
 
So anyways here's the recipe
 
You need
1 rib of celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 medium potato, diced
3 cloves of garlic, leave whole
some chicken skin*
olive oil
a cup of dried small shape pasta *
500ml of water
salt & pepper to taste
How to
1.  Heat up oil in a saucepan; add in the chicken fat and garlic. Leave it to cook for about 8-10minutes stirring occasionally so that the chicken skin doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
2.  Add in the celery and sauté for 5 minutes or until it turns slightly soft. Next add in the carrot and potato, mix well and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes before adding in the water. Remember to stir occasionally so that the vegetables cooks evenly
3.  Once the broth starts to boil, remove the skin fat, skim the top for excessive oil/fat then add in the pasta and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
4.  Salt and pepper to taste
 
Enjoy!
 
Note
*If you don’t like chicken fat, you can just substitute it with butter. Or you can just skip this, if prefer a healthier dish. Somehow I like the aroma of rendered fat in my soup
*If you can’t find any of those shaped pasta, you can use smaller pasta like macaroni or angel – hair pasta broken into smaller pieces before adding into the broth.

Variations
You may add in more variety of vegetables and maybe diced chicken. Also instead of serving with pasta, you can serve it with cooked rice.Just pour the broth in a bowl of rice, making it soupy

Cooking tutorials

 

2 comments:

  1. wow...this is yummy. i'm going to try this for my fussy royal highness. never tried chicken skin before :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems yummy... i shall try this out this weekend then... my son loves soupy stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)