09 September 2009
Noodles with Braised Chicken & Egg
1-2 chicken breast (remove skin)
2 hard-boiled eggs
5 cm piece palm sugar or substitute with 3 tablespoons sugar
a thumb size of ginger (bashed)
3 cloves of garlic (remove skin)
Approximately 20 – 25 white peppercorns
4 pieces star-anise
Approximately 15-20 cloves
5 cm piece cinnamon stick
2 to 3 tablespoons dark soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Half a packet of rice vermicelli noodles
A handful of bean sprouts (cleaned)
Chopped green onions (scallions)
Serves: 2-3 persons
1. Clean the chicken breasts and get the ingredients ready.
2. Bring everything except the chicken breast & eggs into a boil
3. Once sauce begins to boil, add in the chicken drumsticks and let it boil for 10 minutes. After that reduce to medium low heat, add in the eggs, cover lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Stir occasionally so the chicken & eggs brown evenly on all sides. You will find the sauce will start to thicken slightly and when the garlic softens, crush it up lightly with the back of your spatula.
5. Remove the chicken breast and eggs from the pot and stand to cool. Using a fork or fingers shred the chicken breast and half the eggs
6. Blanch the noodles and bean sprouts and drain well. Set aside
1. To serve, separate the sauce from the ingredients.
2. Mix the noodles with 5 tablespoons of the braising sauce and 1 tsp of fried shallots and shallots oil
3. Garnish with bean sprouts, shredded chicken breast, green onions, fried shallots and egg.