09 September 2009
Braised Chicken in Dark Soy Sauce
2 chicken drumsticks (remove skin)
5 cm piece palm sugar or substitute with 3 tablespoons sugar
a thumb size of ginger (bashed)
3 cloves of garlic (remove skin)
Approximately 20 – 25 white peppercorns
4 pieces star-anise
Approximately 15-20 cloves
5 cm piece cinnamon stick
2 to 3 tablespoons dark soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Serves: 2-3 persons
1. Clean the chicken and get the ingredients ready.
2. Bring everything except the drumsticks into a boil
3. Once sauce begins to boil, add in the chicken drumsticks and let it boil for 10 minutes. After that reduce to medium low heat, cover lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Stir occasionally so the chicken brown evenly on all sides. You will find the sauce will start to thicken slightly and when the garlic softens, crush it up lightly with the back of your spatula.
5. Serve with a plate of white rice or noodles
You can reduce the amount of sugar if you find it too sweet.
In the next post, I’ll be making Noodles with Braised Chicken & Egg using the same recipe for the sauce