28 July 2011

Pandan Sponge Cake with Kaya Filling

 
I’ve been baking awfully alot lately, since my girl simply loves baked goodies and she’s been asking for at least one cake a week! It’s definitely cheaper and not to mention healthier to bake your own instead of buying at the bakery not knowing what ingredients they use. And ever since I got pregnant, I haven’t been taking photos of the stuffs I’ve made well iphone photos doesn’t really count eh, so do forgive my rusty skills. I actually forgotten how to work around a SLR camera!Ish.

This is quite a simple recipe hence why I’m blogging about it right now, because being nearly 7 months along sitting is quite a chore these days ; with the big protruding stomach and a baby that kicks you hard each time you sit down for more than 10 minutes and since I’m no expert in blogging - I usually spent at least an hour on a post! I need to write something quick before my blog goes completely dead by the time the baby arrives. Yeap it’s that easy, the recipe I mean

         

You Need
6 large eggs
1/2 cup of caster sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup but I figured since I’m using kaya as the filling, I’d make the cake less sweet)
11/2 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
8 pandan leaves + 4 tablespoons of water blended together and strained to get the juice OR you can use
1/2 teaspoon of green coloring
1 teaspoon of pandan essence (if you can’t get fresh pandan leaves)
kaya spread (coconut jam) for the filling
 
How To
1. Heat oven to 180 °C. Line 2 8x8 inch square baking pans. (You can use 1 9x9 inch baking pan and slicing the cake into two layers but I’m terrible when it comes to slicing cakes into halves, it always ends up being uneven layers!)
2.Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the pandan juice or essence and coloring. Mix well.
3. Stir in 1/3 portion of the flour over the egg mixture and fold in gently. Repeat until all the flour has been used.
4. Pour cake mixture into the pans dividing the batter evenly between the two pans.
5.Bake for about 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the pan or until golden brown. Mine took approximately less than 15 minutes for each pan.
6. Let it cool before spreading the kaya on one layer of the cake and sandwich with the other layer. Cut into pieces and serve. Yums!

A delicious and simple cake ready in less than 40 minutes! And this got to be my fastest blog post ever written! In record breaking 15 minutes including editing! How awesome is that?  Baby’s kicking me now signaling me to go lie down, so till the next time enjoy cooking and eating folks! xoxo

(The two layers of cake left to cool before sandwiching them together with kaya!)

(Simply yummy! Soft cake with sweet kaya oozing out)

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, what a great dessert! Love your blog, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. little ashley is so lucky to have mummy like u, I am really bad at baking, i guess i have problem during the "folding" part, it just never blend in -_-!!! anyway, i love sponge cake, remind me the old days where my mum use to buy frm pasar and let me bring to school as snacks... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!!! Quick question, first, how did you get your hands on Pandan leaves? I've never seen them in any of the Eastern markets I've been in. Second, did you make your own Kaya or purchase it? And if you purchased it, any brand recommendations?
    Sorry for talking your ear off there :P I just really really want to make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly!
    Thanks for visiting :) love your blog too!

    Mel,just keep on trying and baking. It took me many many many cakes just to get this right :)

    Hi there anonymous
    I'm staying in Malaysia where pandan leaves are readily available everywhere, even at the market/supermarkets. And because it doesn't freeze or keep well maybe that's why it's harder for you to find them at the Eastern markets. Pandan flavour essence and green coloring works fine too. If you happen to stumble upon pandan leaves (or screwpipe leaves which are they are commonly known amongst the western) pound them into paste and freeze them for future usage.

    As for the kaya, this is store brought or should I say wet market-brought :) and any kaya brand is fine.

    Sorry that I took this long to reply though. Motherhood has been keeping me really busy that the days just flies by without me realizing!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)