15 June 2010

Vanilla Sponge Cake







I joined this baking club on Facebook honestly out of fun and surprised to know their challenges aren’t exactly that complicated at all. And for June their challenge was Vanilla Sponge Cake for daddy’s (Father’s day) and I decided why not. Below is the recipe by the founder of the club and my first attempt didn’t turn out how I thought it to be and even though I’m quite sick, I decided to try making it for the second time seeing that Ashley wants them so badly and this time she helped me out a bit :) 

(Makes a 8 inches Round tin / 7 inches Square tin)
Ingredients
130gm Self Raising Flour
¼ tsp Baking powder
4 Eggs (separated)
¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
Salt A pinch
180gm Castor sugar
60gm Butter, melted
60ml Water
1 tsp Vanilla Essence

Method
1. Preheat oven to 170~C .
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt 2 -3 times. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks are formed. Add sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form again.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with melted butter, water and vanilla essence. Fold into the egg whites and combine well.
5. Finally fold in the sifted dry ingredients and pour batter immediately into a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper. Bake the cake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes. The cake is done when the top springs back when lightly pressed.
6. Remove cake from oven and let it cool completely before decorating it.

Check out my album for behind the scenes in making this yummy cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)