14 April 2010

Rocket Salad






No it’s not the rocket rocket, I’m talking about rocket leaves or to some you may know it as arugula leaves. A strong flavoured (peppery) salad leaves that is usually used in salad but you can have it with your pasta or meat. Heck the Italians even have it as their pizza toppings! This recipe is pretty simple and easy to make, you don’t have to be a scientist to make a rocket salad (rocket = scientist… get it? LOL, ahem ok excuse me with my lame joke).

Serves 2
You Need
A packet of rocket leaves (washed and spin dry with a salad spinner)
2 hardboiled eggs, quartered
1 cup of crouton
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tomato, deseeded and chopped (or you can also use cherry tomatoes)

Croutons 
1 slice of bread, cubed and drizzle with some olive oil, season with salt & freshly cracked black pepper Arrange the cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer, cook in a preheated oven at 180 Celsius for 20 minutes or until it turns crispy and golden .
Remember to toss the cubes every 10 minutes for even cooking

Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
4 shallots, finely chopped
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
salt and freshly cracked black pepper to season

How To
1.To make the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients in a bowl or add all the ingredients in a jar, cover with a lid and shake to mix. You can leave it to chill in the fridge if you like.
2. To make the salad, toss all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl except the vinaigrette. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and lightly toss with your fingers.
3. Serve and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. A healthy salad..my favourite. I don't mind to eat this everyday....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a nice a filling salad...would love it sometime soon. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great salad combi! Will try this someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies :) yes it's very healthy yet yummy salad, do give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)