10 September 2009

Pasta with Sardine Bolognese Sauce



When I woke up this morning, the first thing that came to my mind was ‘What am I going to cook for Ashley today?’. Having a fussy 2 1/2 year old toddler can be daunting when it comes to making her meals. If possible this girl of mine would just eat plain white rice with any kind of gravy/sauce preferably brown sauces. And in order for her to have her rice with sauce I have to make stews which can be time consuming and by the time the stew’s ready, she no longer interested in eating. And as we all know, just white rice for all her meals while growing up isn’t a good thing at all; I want her to have her veggies and meat. So this morning I thought of making pasta with tomato sauce since she likes it (on her good days) and after rummaging through my pantry I found 2 cans of sardine in tomato sauce. And I thought to myself why not? A delicious twist on a chicken/ beef Bolognese sauce.

You need:
250g of any kind of pasta (Spaghetti, Fettuccine, Linguine or even Fusilli)
4 tbsps of olive oil or sunflower oil
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 small tomato (chopped)
1 small can of
Sardine in Tomato Sauce
5 tbsps of tomato sauce (ketchup)
Water
Parmesan cheese to serve
Salt & Pepper to taste

How To:
1. Cook the pasta in a pot, according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until they turn translucent and soft.
3. Pour in the can of sardine along with the sauce, flak the sardine using your spatula. Add in some water otherwise the sauce would be too thick.
4. Next, add in the tomatoes and tomato sauce, put on the lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to season.
5. Add the sauce to the pasta, toss and serve with Parmesan on top.

Voila a quick meal in less than 30mins and your children would love it :)

Variations:
Instead of using Sardines you can substitute with Tuna or Salmon. And add in 1 can of tomato puree instead of 5 tbsp of tomato sauce

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)