14 July 2010

Ayam Goreng Berempah / Spicy Fried Chicken


This post shall kick-start a mini series of recipes in making the well-known national dish, Nasi Lemak (Steamed Coconut Rice with condiments). I’ve been putting on hold in posting up the recipes for the Nasi Lemak, Sambal, KangKung Belacan (Stir-fry Spicy Water Spinach/Convolvulus) and of course Ayam Goreng Berempah/Spicy Fried Chicken only because that I didn’t know where to start or how to post them, whether to squeeze everything in a long blog post or to separate them in parts plus it doesn’t help when I have about 200 recipes YET to be posted.

So today having some free time and of course taking a short break from Project D-Clutter, I decided it’s time to get this long overdue recipes up on my blog. And since I have a few requests for this recipe, I shall start with the Spicy Fried Chicken before moving on to another equally popular dish, Sambal.

You Need
4 chicken drumsticks/pieces
2 cloves garlic (finely crushed)
5 shallots, pounded
1 inch ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, pounded 
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon coriander seed, pounded
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons cornstarch/all purpose flour
Oil for deep frying  

How To
1. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients including the chicken pieces.
2. Mix well and leave to stand for at least an hour or overnight if you can. I prefer to leave my marinated meat overnight so that the meat can absorb more of the wonderful flavours from the marinate.
3. Heat oil and deep fry for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure you turn them from time to time.
4. Drain the chicken on kitchen paper towels. Serve and enjoy!

Note
You don’t have to use both the spices’ seed and powder , you can use either one whichever available for you. I prefer to use both powder and pounded seeds because I love to bite on the bits of pounded spices and also the crispy parts of the shallots with flour and egg mixture whenever I have my fried chicken.
If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can use a blender for the shallots, ginger and grinder for the dry spices.

Next up, recipe for Sambal Ikan Bilis 

5 comments:

  1. looks super delicious! hope to try this soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I was wanted to ask if I need both the powder and the seed but looks like you answered it. I will definitely try this recipe when I feel less heaty. It's summer so kinda hot for fried stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pearly and mysimplefood,

    Do try this, it's super yummy and addictive! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally when i did a search for chye poh eggs. This dish looks really yummy! I look forward to trying this. Do we need to put galangal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. tried it!! really nice..thanks for the recipe Alesia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog and would love to hear from you. So if you want to leave a comment here, please do so. Don't fret if you don't see me replying your lovely comments only because I'm busy being a mother and as much as I want to be with my laptop all day long I can't. But as always thanks again for the messages :) and I'll try to reply them soonest possible. ♥

And if you have any questions or suggestions, do drop me an email at (alesiasim@gmail.com)